2007-05-08

In the beginning...

There was darkness, chaos and ignorance.

One day, there came the light, and the light was understanding, and the understanding was light. Chuck "Orcus" McPhail had come.

Okay, enough pretention. It just had to be done, sorry.

As a recent graduate of the University of Waterloo's prestgious Faculty of Mathematics, I like to think I have a handle on things. Specifically math.

My final year at UW, I took two courses in particular that opened up my eyes to some interesting possibilities: a course in Game Theory, and a course that dealt a lot with Mechanism Design(algorithmic Game Theory).

Take players, alternatives, outcomes, preferences and some assumptions about interaction and you're ready to do some analysis. I fell in love with this topic and it is easily my favourite branch of mathematics, a lot of my final year of study being related to how these things work within Graph Theory.

But more to the point, once I learned all that, I started seeing all sorts of everyday situations that can be modelled in Game Theoretic terms. And so, we come to the point.

Here, I will do some analysis of everyday/political/economical/stupid/amusing situations that I come up with as if they were strategic games. Sometimes I hope to be insightful, most of the time I will just be thinking on-screen.(Someone needs to find a better computer equivalent to "thinking out-loud")

Cheers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've found myself slipping into that mode of thought a few times before, and I haven't taken an actual course in game theory...

The other day I started thinking about whether or not I should walk up to Union Square to meet a friend after I sent a message and didn't get a reply. I paralleled it to that one we've all heard, where you're going to prison, and you might get a lighter sentence by betraying your friend, but only if they don't betray you...